Darkness To Light...

Where Film Noir Lives...Too!

Darkness Before Dawn [Or The Sunday Morning Movie...]"Yield to the Night..."Starring Diana Dors

Yield to the Night (also titled Blonde Sinner) is a 1956 British crime drama film starring Diana Dors as a murderess sentenced to hang and spending her last days in the condemned cell in a British women's prison. The film received much positive critical attention, particularly for the skilled acting of Dors, who had previously been cast solely as a British version of the stereotypical "blonde bombshell".

Plot

The storyline in Yield to the Night bears a superficial resemblance to the Ruth Ellis case, which had occurred the previous year. However, the film is based on the novel of the same title published in 1954 by Joan Henry.[2] Coincidentally, Ruth Ellis appeared as an uncredited beauty queen in the 1951 film Lady Godiva Rides Again, also starring Diana Dors.

The film was entered into the 1956 Cannes Film Festival.[3]

Cast

Tags: based, brit, british, diana, dors, ellis, film, henry, joan, murder, More…noir, ruth

Views: 363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

(aka 'Blonde Sinner')

Directed by J. Lee Thompson
UK 1956

Loosely based on the Ruth Ellis case, Thompson's film is a worthy, anti-capital punishment statement. It's the story of Mary Hilton (Dors), a woman awaiting execution. The story of events leading to murder is told in flashback.

Retitled Blonde Sinner for the US, the film was sold on Dors's sex appeal, but for the most part, she has never looked so dowdy, often unrecognizably so. Stripped of all but a little make-up and in a downbeat role, she gives an incredible performance, showing a talent and range that make this stand out from anything else she ever did.

Thompson's direction is assured and suitably noirish, emphasizing long dark shadows and prison bars. While a little unrelenting, and in many ways stating the obvious cliché that an eye for an eye leaves us all blind, Yield to the Night is nevertheless a brave and compelling achievement.

Excerpt from Channel 4 located HERE

This was the film in which I realized Diana Dors was a truly fine actress. Apparently she also had a pretty high IQ.

Hi! Steve Press...

I must admit that I stumbled upon this film 2 days ago and watched it for the first-time yesterday.

Unfortunately, I have only watched actress Diana Dors  in "The Unholy Wife" [1957] and the Hammer Film Noir "Man-Bait" [1952] were I also think that she "turned" in a good performance in a somewhat minor role opposite actor George Brent.

Jayne Mansfield, rarely getting a role that stretched any dramatic talents she may have had. (She died in 1984 at age 52). Yet, her performance in Man Bait is impressive and indicated there was real talent that could have been exploited, had producers ever looked above her bust line. Cinema-Retro...

...and here fellow film noir aficionados Tony d'Ambra, look at her an[d] actor Vic Mature in "The Long Haul" and  "Tread Softly, Stranger..." two which I have never watched, but I plan to add to my films to watch-list... too!

Apparently she also had a pretty high IQ...

...Similar to actress Marilyn Monroe [M.M.] who was also known to have a pretty high IQ... too!

Once again, Steve Press, thanks, for your comment!

deedee :)

[Note: For some unknown reason I like to watch the Brit Noir while eating Fish&Chip and with a spot Of tea...]

Loosely based, like Dance with a Stranger, on the Ruth Ellis case, this oddly austere thriller has Dors as the unrepentant murderess waiting in prison, thinking back over the events that made her kill, and agonising over whether she'll be given the death sentence or not.

Decidedly anti-capital punishment, the film never actually excites, but thanks to the downbeat mood and the surprisingly effective performances, it does grip the attention.

It never, however, attempts to explore in any depth the relationship between the legal practice of hanging and society's attitudes to crime.

Excerpt from TimeOut Film Guide located HERE

[Note: The full film have been REPLACED..."Yield The Night"...Therefore, please remember to try and watch the films as soon as I post them... Thanks,]

RSS

Members

Photos

Loading…

Latest Activity

Darkness To Light... commented on Darkness To Light...'s video
yesterday
Darkness To Light... liked Darkness To Light...'s video
yesterday
Darkness To Light... posted videos
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
Sunday
Sunday
Sunday
Sunday
Thursday
Darkness To Light... posted videos
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
Darkness To Light... commented on Darkness To Light...'s video
Thumbnail

The Endless Night: A Valentine to Film Noir

"And now, the noirs:THE LETTER (1940, William Wyler. Bette Davis)THE MALTESE FALCON (1941, John…"
Thursday

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

© 2014   Created by Darkness To Light....

Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service